Tips for Hiring a Remodeling Contractor:
1. Get at least three written estimates.
2. Get references and call to check on the work. If possible, go by and
visit earlier jobs.
3. Check with the local Chamber of Commerce or Better Business Bureau for
4. Be sure that the contract states exactly what is to be done and how
change orders will be handled.
5. Make as small a downpayment as possible so you won't lose a lot if the
contractor fails to complete the job.
6. Be sure that the contractor has the necessary permits, licenses, and
7. Be sure that the contract states when the work will be completed and
what recourse you have if it isn't. Also remember that in many instances
you can cancel a contract within three business days of signing it.
8. Ask if the contractor's workers will do the entire job or whether
subcontractors will do parts.
9. Get the contractor to indemnify you if work does not meet any local
building codes or regulations.
10. Be sure that the contract specifies the contractor will clean up after
the job and be responsible for any damage.
11. Guarantee that materials used meet your specifications.
12. Don't make the final payment until you're satisfied with the work.
Copyright National Association of REALTORS®, Reprinted with permission.